While it is true that our bodies are built to be able to naturally cleanse and detoxify (say thank you to your liver every day!)—unless you live in a bubble, it is virtually impossible to avoid toxins and harmful substances of modern times that can overwhelm our bodies and leave us feeling sluggish and unwell.
In today’s world of technology, fast foods, pharmaceuticals and toxic chemicals, our bodies can be affected from energy levels and stamina to how well our organs are able to function. The amount of pesticides, herbicides, fossil fuel emissions, hydrocarbons, and heavy metals that we are exposed to on a daily basis have reached record proportions, leaving our bodies struggling to keep up with all of the detoxifying that has to be done.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency has reported that traces of toxic chemicals can now be found in nearly every American. Clearly our bodies are having to detoxify more today than they ever have before. This is where regular cleansing comes in. Many healthcare experts believe that in today’s modern world, it is a good idea to do a gentle cleanse at least a couple of times a year, to help remove excess toxins from your body and keep you looking and feeling great.
What are Toxins?
A toxin is any compound that has a detrimental effect on cell function or structure in the body. Some toxins cause minimal negative effects, while others can cause more serious effects, or even death.
Toxins are often divided into four categories:
- Heavy Metals – Including lead, mercury, cadmium, arsenic, nickel, and aluminum. Heavy metals tend to accumulate in vital organs, often disrupting their function.
- Liver Toxins – Including drugs, alcohol, solvents, formaldehyde, pesticides, herbicides, and food additives. Our livers are usually overloaded with these toxins because they are so prevalent in our diet and in our environment.
- Microbial Compounds – Including toxins produced by bacteria and yeast in the digestive tract can be absorbed and transported throughout the body, significantly disrupting bodily functions. These toxins can also include toxic amines, toxic derivatives of bile, various carcinogenic substances, and endotoxins and exotoxins from bacteria.
- By-products of Protein Metabolism – The kidneys are largely responsible for eliminating toxic waste products of protein metabolism, such as ammonia and urea. Excessive protein consumption and lack of water can inhibit proper kidney function.
Toxins can be found just about everywhere—in our homes, in our workplaces, in our food, in our water and even in the air we breathe.
More specifically, toxins can be found in:
- Plastics, especially when heated or microwaved
- Pesticides and herbicides
- Mold and other fungus
- Carpets, mattresses, and upholstered furniture
- Conventional cleaning supplies
- Unfiltered drinking water
- Wall paint, especially older paint
- Dry cleaning chemicals
- Processed foods
- Conventional beauty care products including lotions, moisturizers, shampoos, and body wash
Periodic cleansing and detoxifying can help to flush out accumulated toxins, and keep your body working well.
Imagine what the inside of a house would look like if you never cleaned it. Dirt, toxins, and pathogens would begin to build up and create an unhealthy and uncomfortable environment.
A similar scenario can occur inside of our bodies when the liver and other bodily systems responsible for detoxification become over-burdened.
When this happens, we can experience a range of health problems including:
- Fatigue and low energy
- Achy and/or stiff joints
- Chronic constipation
- Bad breath
- Foul smelling stools
- Parasites in stool
- Frequent gas and bloating
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Digestive problems
- Yeast (candida) overgrowth
- Skin problems
- Signs of heavy metal toxicity, including multiple chemical sensitivity
How to Gently Detoxify Your Body
Detoxification is a process in which potentially harmful compounds are excreted from the body. The liver, lungs, skin, kidneys, and gastrointestinal tract all play a part in detoxification. The purpose of a cleanse is to support these organs so that they can function optimally, thus resulting in a cleaner, healthier you.
There are many ways to do a cleanse. Some of the supposed “cleanses” out there can actually be quite dangerous, as they include fasting, limiting protein, and possibly ingesting substances that are in fact not conducive to cleansing at all. When considering a cleanse, it is important to take a couple of things into consideration:
1. Make sure your diet and living environment are clean.
Eliminate refined foods, sugar and coffee. You may also want to eliminate gluten, dairy, soy, and corn, as these foods are difficult to digest. People often find that after eliminating these foods for a couple of weeks they actually have a sensitivity to them and were not aware of it. Many people today have become accustomed to feeling less than optimal. When they clean up their diet and do a cleanse, they often experience increased energy and wellness they did not know they were missing.
• Include plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit, organic when possible. This should be the bulk of your diet while cleansing. Fruits and vegetables will provide vitamins, minerals, and fiber essential to an effective cleanse.
• Include plenty of clean, good quality protein to support the liver during detoxification. Try to get in a moderate serving at every meal.
• Drink water! On a regular day, you want to get in at least 8 large glasses of water. When cleansing, it should be closer to 10 or more.
2. Make sure you choose a high quality, gentle and effective cleansing product that includes all aspects of cleansing.
This includes liver support, digestive support, and ingredients to bind and remove heavy metals from the body.
3. Get your body moving!
Exercise promotes cleansing by promoting blood and lymphatic circulation, and increasing oxygen to cells in the body. Exercise is an integral part of an effective cleansing program and should be done at least 3-5 times per week.
When to Cleanse and Detox and For How Long?
A seasonal cleanse is an excellent way to ensure you cleanse at least every three months. The spring and summer months are especially great for cleansing with the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables available in most regions. Generally a cleanse can last from 1 to 3 weeks, and will depend on your lifestyle and what you feel your body needs.
It’s important to note that when cleansing, you need to have at least one bowel movement per day. This will ensure that you’re eliminating toxins that have been stored in your body but are now being released with cleansing. Be sure to drink plenty of water to help flush out the toxins that pass through the kidneys.
Products to Help with Cleansing and Detoxifying
PuraCell Systemic Cleansing System from World Nutrition is designed to cover multiple facets of cleansing and detoxifying. It is an all-encompassing formulation that will leave you feeling rejuvenated and refreshed after just a few short weeks. It is a powerful blend of minerals, herbs, enzymes, and cracked wall chlorella that can be used as a Gentle Daily Detox or a Quick 30-Day Detox. Few other products deliver such thorough coverage on such a vast array of toxicity concerns, especially in such a gentle manner.
This is a complete formulation to address toxic build up in your:
- Gastrointestinal System
- Muscle Tissue
Chlorella Pure A true “superfood”, Chlorella Pure is derived from regularis algae. The softer wall of this variety of chlorella does not need to be broken and therefore maintains its detoxifying benefits. Once the natural digestion process breaks down the wall, the additional antioxidant and energizing benefits of Vitamin A and Vitamin C are released.
Taking a supplement, such as chlorella, may help remove toxins as well as boost the immune system. The chlorella cell wall can bind to toxins, which are then eliminated by the body.
- Stimulates healthy immune function†
- 22% recommended daily value of Vitamin A as beta-carotene
- 58% recommended daily value of Vitamin C
- Can support weight loss by regulating hormones, promoting healthy metabolism, and improving circulation*
- May reduce the oxidative stress caused from pollution, other toxins, stress, and poor diet*
- Provides healthy cardiovascular and circulatory function support*
Calcium D-Glucarate helps remove toxins from the intestinal tract. D-Glucarate is a phytochemical that can be found in fruits and vegetables, such as apples, oranges, broccoli, cabbage, bean sprouts, and brussels sprouts. It is also made in small amounts by the body. Many believe that this nutrient aids the body in the elimination of many harmful toxins and lowers abnormally high levels of used steroid hormones including estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone.
D-Glucarate also inhibits an enzyme known as beta-glucuronidase, which suppresses the body’s ability to detoxify many toxins using the glucuronidation pathway. When levels of this enzyme become elevated, it reverses the glucuronidation process and releases the toxins back into the bloodstream.6 When detoxification involves Calcium D-Glucarate, it is called glucuronidation, which is the process that occurs when toxins or carcinogens are combined with water soluble substances, allowing such toxins to be more easily removed from the body. Research supports a role for glucuronidation in protecting cells (especially those of hormone-sensitive tissues such as the breast and prostate) from dangerous environmental chemicals.7
When beta-glucuronidase becomes elevated, it reverses the glucuronidation process and releases the toxins back into the bloodstream.6 Consider supplementing with Calcium D-Glucarate to keep the detoxification pathway moving forward. This will preserve the amount of glucuronic acid available to eliminate toxins, and limit the amount of free estrogen that is reabsorbed in the body.
- Helps eliminate toxins and carcinogens
- Helps eliminate used hormones
- Helps reduce the risk of certain diseases
- Has been shown to reduce estrogen receptors
LifeSource SuperSprouts for detoxification and cleansing benefits. Chlorophyll is the green pigment found in plants and algae that is responsible for their color. Some evidence suggests that chlorophyll helps detoxify unhealthy cell regeneration.3,4 According to the PDR for Nutritional Supplements, some experimental data suggests that chlorophyll may have some antimutagenic and anticarcinogenic potential, may help protect against some toxins, and may ameliorate some drug side effects.5
You can find excellent dietary sources of chlorophyll in dark green leafy vegetables, spirulina, chlorella, algae, wheatgrass, and barley grass. Those who do not consume a variety of green foods in plentiful quantities may lack chlorophyll in their diets. Therefore, including a good green foods supplement like LifeSource SuperSprouts which contains sources of chlorophyll, can help you get this important nutrient into your diet or cleansing program.
Chlorophyll Benefits Include:
- Bad breath
- For use in detoxifying
- As an antioxidant
- To promote healthy inflammation response
- For wound healing 1,2
Neutralize Environmental Toxins in Your Body with Enhance by Aulterra. Enhance is a homeopathically activated combination of natural paramagnetic and diamagnetic elements which neutralize the effects of heavy metals and other toxins on human DNA.
Several studies clearly show that the energy of Enhance neutralizes the negative effects of toxic elements. In 1996, the University of Idaho conducted toxic soil recovery studies utilizing Enhance powder. Samples of soil contaminated with lead and zinc were mixed with small quantities of Enhance powder. The pre-mix soil contained 200 ppm of lead and the zinc measured 26.8. Two days after mixing Enhance into the soil, the lead measured .5 ppm and the zinc measured 6.5ppm.
In 1998, Lockheed Martin conducted a study to determine if Enhance could neutralize radioactive elements. After six months, Enhance successfully reduced the gamma radiation of the control substance by 80%.
Enhance’s unique properties activate DNA causing what is known as the quantum oscillation effect. This winding and unwinding of the DNA is associated only with healthy, normally functioning DNA. DNA exposed to toxins will not behave in this same manner. When exposed to Enhance, human DNA begins to repair itself, eventually achieving the quantum oscillation effect.
With Aulterra’s Enhance, your body can be in a constant state of healing.
- Activates DNA*
- Enhances cellular activity*
- Neutralizes toxic substances*
- Assists with healthy cellular aging*
The Neutralizer for RF/EMF Protection. Studies have shown that cellular phones can damage the DNA in sensitive areas of the brain. Wireless equipment, computers, microwave ovens, televisions, and other electronic devices also emit EMF’s that may be harmful to your health.
When Kim Dandurand, Aulterra Neutralizer’s inventor, created the Neutralizer, the most significant criteria he recognized was that the product could never be practical if it relied on either blocking or absorbing radiation.
Instead, it had to neutralize it.
The Aulterra Neutralizer works by retuning the EMF frequencies of electronic devices like cell phones, computers, and other electronics to transmute the energy so it no longer causes harm to the body’s DNA.
The Neutralizer is effective against harmful EMF/RF radiation when applied to any of the following devices:
- Any cellular phone
- Computer terminal
- Microwave oven
- Cordless telephone
- Video game equipment
Maintaining Your Post-Cleanse Glow
After completing your cleanse, it is important to continue to nourish your body with high-quality foods, fluids, and supplements, to keep you feeling great. While we cannot control all of the toxins we are exposed to, we can certainly take precautions to ensure we keep our exposure to a minimum and provide our bodies with everything it needs continue to detoxify efficiently.
- Reduce/eliminate your exposure to toxins in the home by choosing all natural cleaning products.
- Use all natural beauty and anti-aging products like RegenaCell, that are free of parabens and synthetic chemicals and hormones.
- Maintain a healthy diet with plenty of fiber from vegetables and whole grains.
- Take a high-quality superfood supplement regularly.
- Maintain a healthy digestive system.
- Take a high quality probiotic daily.
- Repeat maintenance cleanses throughout the year.
- Have regular bowel movements (1 to 3 per day is ideal).
- Continue to drink plenty of pure filtered water.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep.
- Eat organic, non-processed whole foods.
- Exercise moderately on a daily basis.
Make it a Habit
Cleansing your body regularly can lead to improved health and a reduction in many symptoms that may be contributing to poor health. Therefore, it is suggested to detox your body at least once year if not more (many people like to do a seasonal cleanse, as a reminder to cleanse every few months), while maintaining your improved health by following the above suggestions.
- Rudolph C. The therapeutic value of chlorophyll. Clin Med Surg 1930:37;119-21
- Chernomorsky SA, Segelman AB. Biological activities of chlorophyll derivatives. N J Med 1988:85;669-73.
- Gruskin B. Chlorophyll-its therapeutic place in acute and suppurative disease. Am J Surg 1940:49;49-56.
- Hayatsu H, Negishi T, Arimoto S, et al. Porphyrins as potential inhibitors against exposure to carcinogens and mutagens. Mutat Res 1993:290;79-85.
- Thomson, PDR for Nutritional Supplements. New Jersey: Thomson PDR 2002;89
- Dwivedi C, Heck WJ, Downie AA, et al. Effect of calcium glucarate on beta-glucuronidase activity and glucarate content of certain vegetables and fruits. Biochem Med Metab Biol. 1990; 43:83-92.
- Walaszek Z, Hanausek-Walaszek M, Minton J, Webb TE. Dietary Glucarate as anti-promoter of 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene-induced mammary tumorigenesis. Carcinogenesis 1986;7:1463-1466