5 Easy Tips for Staying Well and Feeling Great
Today’s lifestyles can be stressful and generally involve poor dietary habits, hectic schedules, and anxiety, with little or no time to exercise. All of these factors combined can lay the foundation for stress, tension, fatigue, frustration, and anxiety that can wear on the immune system. Many of these factors also increase during the winter season for various reasons.
Seasonal shots may deter the onset or length of some ailments. Over the counter medications may additionally ease symptoms. However, neither of these measures actually supports or strengthens the immune system–which when working in an ideal state, can easily ward off problems long before you experience a stuffy nose or cough.
Reducing stress, getting enough sleep, eating right and getting proper exercise are not always possible. Why not give your overworked immune system a boost by taking preventative measures in addition to including natural dietary supplements that can help build and keep your immune system in optimal condition?
Immune System Support
For most of us, the occasional cold seems normal. Personal philosophies vary from letting it run its course to running out to the local pharmacy and taking various OTCs to alleviate symptoms. What many do not realize, is that a cold doesn’t have to last for seven to ten days. And we don’t have to suffer through a half-dozen or more colds in a year either! There are some very simple measures anyone can take to boost immunity and reduce the onset or length of a cold. Here are just a few practices than can put you on offense instead of defense the next time symptoms begin:
1) Slow down and rest. Even something as simple as a little runny nose can be a sign your body is struggling. Take it to heart, increase fluids and do your best to get an extra hour or so of sleep for several days. Cancel appointments or obligations that can wait until you feel better.
2) Avoid food and drink that can weaken immunity. Excess sugar, refined starches, caffeine, and alcohol can put a strain our body’s ability to filter toxins. If a virus or bacteria attempt to take over, there is little “fighting” ability left to defend and eliminate the culprits.
3) Take a walk. This is especially helpful in the cool morning or evening time. The combination of increased blood flow and oxygen can refresh your senses and help with the detoxification process.
4) Increase the intake of water and hot fluids. Pure water provides support to organs and assists in flushing out toxins. Hot fluids, such as herbal teas can break up mucus, soothe the throat and stomach lining, and penetrate into the lungs. Teas that include eucalyptus, peppermint, lemon, and marshmallow root are especially helpful in supporting immune-system defenses and warding off the “bugs” that form more common symptoms.
5) Add one or several immune supporting supplements. Most of us are aware of the role of antioxidants in fighting free radicals that can contribute to colds or other illnesses. The more common ones include Vitamin-C, Zinc, and Omega-3s. Vitamin-D, trace minerals, and electrolytes are also known to be helpful. Most of us know we need these vitamins and nutrients for everyday health and wellness. Adding an extra dose when symptoms surface will provide the support our bodies need when illness arises.
Though the jury is still out regarding how ultimately effective these strategies may be to deterring or shortening the length of a cold, nobody can argue the benefits of practicing these offensive strategies whether we feel sick or not. Just like you wouldn’t go out in the rain without proper clothing or coverage–you shouldn’t try to battle a cold without the proper tools in place to bolster immunity and help you feel better faster.
Help keep your immune system stay strong by:
- Taking measures to reduce stress and exposure to illness
- Taking supplements to help build the immune system
- Having products on hand in case you begin to not feel well
Suggested Supplements to Help Boost Your Immune System
Camu-Camu Pure powder is a whole food supplement derived from the native-grown berries of Brazil and Peru. The complex molecular structure contains the strongest potency of Vitamin C in the world plus phytochemicals that boost overall immune health.*
Systemic Vitamin C combats free radicals, directing the body toward greater health. Taking antioxidants can help boost immune function, while protecting cells and DNA from free radical damage.*
Frankincense CO2 essential oil has a rich, sweet, and complex aroma traditionally used for ceremonial incense and perfumery. Frankincense (Boswellia carteri) has been used the world over as a source of mental and spiritual stimulation, for immune support, and for healthy skin.*
Grapefruit (Citrus x paradisii) essential oil has a light, sweet, refreshing citrus scent with energizing and uplifting properties. It contains a higher concentration of Vitamin-C than other citrus oils, provides immune support, and the stimulating aroma awakens the mind and senses.*
Adult Sinus Support from Redd Remedies combines traditional medicine with modern science to support the immune, respiratory, and digestive systems crucial to sinus health.*
SinuZyme from Redd Remedies contains ingredients which may support immune health, normal sinus drainage, a healthy lymphatic system, and natural detoxification processes.
MucoStop from Enzymedica promotes easy breathing during seasonal or occasional congestion* and contains Mucolase™, a high-potency proteolytic enzyme formula designed to help the body in the natural break down of excess mucus in the sinus and nasal passages.*
Immune Guardian Brazilian bee propolis blend contains an exclusive bee propolis extract made from a blend of 100% Brazilian propolis flavonoids from red and green propolis.